9th ANNUAL FAMILY BUILDING CONFERENCE
April 27th, 2019
9:00am-10:00am. Registration and Booths Open
10:00am-10:10am Welcome & Announcements
10:10am-10:15am Passing Period
10:15am-11:00am Break Out Session (Pick one topic to attend)
- In-Vitro Fertilization: Is it For Me? This light-hearted, yet in-depth overview of IVF will cover who should consider IVF and why, discuss the IVF process, IVF pregnancy rates, and touch on some of the most innovative treatments available today. This session is for anyone who may consider IVF as a family building option soon or in the future. The presenter is Dr. Celeste Brabec from Reproductive Resource Center.
- Naturopathic Medicine: What Else Can We Do? Often those affected by infertility are eager to employ all available tools to improve their chances. In this session, Dr. Laura Rues from Kansas City Integrative Health will discuss the naturopathic approach to fertility. She will share the ways in which a couple’s overall health and well-being can improve fertility and complement efforts to conceive on your own or with medical treatment.
11:15am-12:00pm Break Out Session (Pick one topic to attend)
- Male Factor Infertility: What About the Guys? It is estimated that 40% of infertility can be attributed to male factor causes, but often the role of the male partner is overlooked or misunderstood. This session, with Dr. Courtney Marsh the University of Kansas Health System, will examine the main causes of male infertility, and discuss both treatment options and lifestyle changes to address it.
- The Adoption Experience In this session, adoptive mother Tess Pinkerton will share her experience and insights adopting after infertility; her now-adult daughter, Emily, will also share her perspective as an adopted child.
12:00pm-1:00pm Lunch & Round Table Discussions
1:00pm-1:45pm Break Out Session (Pick one topic to attend)
- Adventures in Babysitting: Inside the IVF Lab This session with Derica Anderson, Embryologist and Director of Laboratory Services with Blue Sky Fertility, offers a peek into what goes on behind the scenes from retrieval to transfer and beyond. This session will be of interest to anyone considering IVF, or any IVF alumni who would like to learn more about the process.
- Surviving this S*#% Join us for a personal look into the infertility journey of individuals who have been in your shoes. Each guest speaker brings a unique perspective including their experiences with treatment, adoption, loss and secondary infertility. You will hear about the challenges they have experienced or are currently facing and how they support each other along the way. This session will shed light on the real impact infertility has on a relationship and leave you feeling encouraged as you continue to navigate your journey.
2:00pm-3:00pm Keynote Speaker – Anna Almendrala, host of the IVFML podcast
- Keynote Presentation: Living with infertility sucks, and Anna is no stranger to this community. In this Keynote session, she will share with attendees her experiences with infertility, as well as highlights and takeaways from her podcast.
- Anna Almendrala, freelance writer and former Senior Reporter for HuffPost was born in Manila, Philippines and grew up in New Zealand and California. She graduated from U.C. Berkeley in 2006 with a double major in Rhetoric and Spanish and has previously worked for Sojourners and Brave New Films. Her Podcasts “IVFML” and “IVFML: Becoming Family”, co-hosted with her husband Simon Ganz, provide listeners with an inside look on the couple’s infertility journey, through treatment, loss and success. The miniseries also features infertility experts and other real-life couples who have struggled to grow their family.
3:00pm-3:30pm Closing Remarks and Prize Giveaways
- Includes drawing winners for three $1,000 grants from the Family Building Grant Fund!